What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that your browser stores when you visit almost any webpage. The purpose of this cookie is to allow the website to remember you whenever you visit that site again. Although, most people are not aware of this, cookies have been used for more than 20 years, ever since the emergence of World Wide Web.
What things AREN’T cookies?
A cookie is not a virus or a Trojan horse. It is neither a worm, nor spam or spyware. It doesn´t trigger pup-ups either.
What type of information do cookies store?
Normally, cookies don’t store information about you that is considered to be sensitive, such as credit cards or bank data, photographies, identity card numbers or personal data. The information stored is technical; it is related to personal preferences and the customization of content, etc.
The web server does not recognize you as a person; instead, it identifies your web browser. In fact, if you usually surf on a website using Internet Explorer and then you try to enter the same website by using Firefox or Chrome, you will notice that the web server won’t realize that you are the same person, because it is associating the browser, not the person.
What different types of cookies can be found?
* Technical Cookies: These are the most basic type of cookies and they allow us to know, among other things, when a human or a piece of automated web search software is surfing the web, or when an anonymous or logged in user had access to the site, that is to say, basic tasks needed for the functionality of any dynamic web page.
* Analytical/performance cookies: They collect information on the type of navigation that is being carried out, the most visited sections, checked out products, time zones, and language, etc.
* Behavioral targeting Cookies: They display adverts based on your navigation history, your country, language, etc.
What are first-party and third-party cookies?
First-party cookies are generated by the page you are visiting; third party cookies are generated by external services or providers, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable my cookies?
We will show you some examples so that you can understand the consequences you may have if you disable cookies:
* You won’t be able to share content with Facebook, Twitter or any other social media.
* The website won’t be able to adapt the content to your personal preferences, as online shops may do.
* You won’t be able to have access to your personal area on that site, such as My account, Mi profile, Mi orders.
* Online shops/shopping: It will be impossible for you to buy online. You will have to purchase by phone or by visiting the physical store, if there is any.
* You won’t be able to customize your geographical preferences, such as time zone, currency or language.
* The website won’t be able use google analytics to track visitors and website traffic, something that will make your site less competitive.
* You won’t be allowed to write on the blog, upload pictures, post comments or to rank the content. The site won’t know whether you are a person or an automated application that send spam messages.
* You won’t be able to show adverts (), which will decrease the income from advertisings.
Can you delete cookies?
Yes, you can. Not only can you clear cookies, but you can block them also, either generally or for one specific domain.
In order to eliminate cookies of one specific domain, you will have to change the settings in your browser.
Cookies configuration for the most popular browsers
We will explain you how to look for one specific cookie in Chrome. Notice that the steps may vary depending on the browser.
1. Go to Settings or Preferences on the Archive menu or clicking on the icon of Customization that is on the upper right corner.
2. You will see different options, click on Show Advanced Options.
3. Go to Privacy, then to Content Settings.
4. Click on “All cookies and site data”.
5. A list with all the cookies ordered by domain will appear. In order to find the cookies of one specific domain more easily, type the address, totally or partially, into the field Search cookies.
6. Once you have finished the search, a list of all the cookies associated with the website in question will appear on the screen. The only thing
you have to do now is select them and click on the X button to wipe them out from your computer.
In order to Access the Cookies setting menu of Internet Explorer, please follow the steps listed below. Notice that the steps may vary depending on the browser:
1. Go to Tools, then to Internet Options.
2. Click on Privacy.
3. Move the slider till you can adjust the level of privacy that you wish.
In order to get access to the Cookies setting menu of Firefox, please follow the steps listed below. Notice that the steps may vary depending on the browser:
1. Go to Options or Preferences, depending on your operating system.
2. Click on Privacy.
3. On History, select Use custom settings for history.
4. You will see the option Accept cookies. You may opt to disable them or not, this is up to you.
In order to get access to the Cookies setting menu of Safari for OSX, please follow the steps listed below. Notice that the steps may vary depending on the browser:
1. Go to Preferences, then to Privacy.
2. You will be able to see the option Block cookies that will let you select the type of blocking you want.
In order to get access to the Cookies setting menu of Safari for iOS, please follow the steps listed below. Notice that the steps may vary depending on the browser:
1. Go to Settings, then to Safari.
2. Go to Privacy and Security. You will see the option Block cookies that will let you select the type of blocking you want.
In order to get access to the Cookies setting menu of the browser for Android devices, please follow the steps listed below. Notice that the steps may vary depending on the browser:
1. Open your browser and tap the Menu key and then Settings.
2. Go to Privacy and Security, you will find the option Accept cookies in order to check or uncheck the checkbox.
In order to get access to the Cookies setting menu of the browser for Windows Phone devices, please follow the steps listed below. Notice that the steps may vary depending on the browser:
1. Open Internet Explorer, then tap More and Settings.
2. Now you can check or uncheck the checkbox Allow cookies.